Chinese philosopher Laozi said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." As our community seeks to build a better environment today and for our future, small initiatives on the local and regional levels are having a huge impact on the world we live in. Among our environmental initiatives are:
- Lynnhaven River NOW Projects
- Waterway Clean-Up
- Oyster Restoration Project
- Wetland Grass Planting
- "Trout in the Classroom" Program
- Lower School students and teachers raise trout from fertilized eggs, making daily observations of water quality. The fingerlings, hatching in late October, are almost an inch and a half long by mid-January. Towards the end of the school year, students will release the fry into watersheds.
- Carpooling Program
- Encouraging members of the community to carpool to and from the School.